Also on the website are passages, memories, and even a lengthy memoir that my grandfather put together. For one reason or another, I never have had the chance to read many of my grandfather's writings. Now reading it, I see now from whom my dad inherited his natural writing abilities.
My grandfather died when I was in 7th grade, so the young age coupled with always living continents away, meant I have limited memories of him. The memories I do have of him, are of his final years when his age began to catch up with him.
Because of this, his writings have become a glimpse of a side of my grandfather I did not know. His love for my grandmother, his family, his natural intellect and good humour, his impressive character. Because my grandfather took the time to put pen to paper his thoughts and emotions, I feel like I'm getting to know my grandfather. The best is always to realise how relatable your grandparents really are. When you are young they seem like these immeasurably wise and endlessly old beings that are there for the sole purpose of making your life that little bit more spoiled. It also makes me excited for the day that I can sit with him again and speak to him as peers.
It also re-instilled the idea that I need to better document my life. Whenever I go to write in my journal, I feel silly. As if I'm just repeating a story to myself in my head. But I've been relishing each story, no matter how small the moment may have felt to my grandpa when he was experiencing it. This made me realise that the personal connection I feel like I am attaining by reading through my grandfather's stories, is a connection my grandchildren would also want to have.

a quote from my grandpa in his journal:
"I trust each family member will read, ponder and pray about the contents of this personal history. I trust all of you will be prompted to be more diligent in your own personal history. Bear in mind that what you record will be available to your posterity. No one can measure the impact for good that these personal histories of each family member will have upon their posterity."
This post brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for reminding all of us (through the wise words of grandpa felt) how important keeping a journal is.
ReplyDelete