23 August 2010

big day.

my 24th birthday was a rather momentous one. not so much due to the birthday part, (although - work aside - I had a rather nice low key one) but because it was the day I handed work my notice.

Yep it's official, in a week I will no longer be a working woman (for the time being).

Long story short, it's been a exhausting two years. I've worked consistent 12-14 hour days (or even the occasional 16-18 hours), the more-than-occasional Sunday, and given up too many concerts / dinners with friends / farewell parties all in the name of banking. It honestly has been a rewarding experience that I've learned so much from, but it's an experience that was very, very draining. I am so glad that I can look back at my life later down the line and say "yes, I was an investment banker". I can tell my daughters to dream big, do anything they want to do, don't settle for anything less, and know that I can be an example to them because I went on a limb and did it.

But. Two years and too little sleep later. I'm ready for a change. I'm not quite sure what that change will be, whether it be in Finance or elsewhere. But I'm excited for a break and to get to spend more time with Neil. If there was anyone who truly sacrificed for this whole experience it was him. He up and moved to London before finishing college, leaving friends and family behind, so that I could take this job. He sat and home and patiently waited for me to crawl into bed at 10, 11, 12, at night. He went to our friends' houses alone on a Friday night because a) a client decided hearing our pitch couldn't wait until Monday b) my excel spreadsheet decided to have a meltdown half way through the night or c) I, as the lowly analyst, was requested to hang back at work "in case" that important email finally came through. And when I came home stressed, angry, anxious, he has been there. every single time. pretty amazing, no?

so. yes. that's right. it's now time to enjoy life for awhile. sleep in till 10 if i want to. shop at top shop on a monday morning, run in hyde park in the afternoons. have afternoon tea at the ritz. catch up on those grey's anatomy episodes i've been missing. remind myself of all the reasons we moved out to london in the first place. all those activities and sights that i never had time to see.

i can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I think you're amazing for being an investment banker for two years, and also for quitting! haha. can't wait to hang more xo

    ReplyDelete