
now, some of you may know my love for the beatles.
i grew up to them very often being the music of choice on our sunday drives. i fell in love with them that much more in college once i started collecting more and more of their music.
their albums, tribute albums (have you heard robin william's cover of come together? or any of the in my life tribute album? download it), the across the universe album (probably my ultimate fave), the cirque du soleil LOVE album... and before i knew it, a quarter of my songs on itunes were the beatles.
so when friends matt and noelle mentioned there was a Beatles Tribute being performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall we leapt at the chance!
it was a blast. even if a disproportionately large amount of time was spent listening to British C-list stars singing their own "versions" of songs. just fyi, if you were in a brit band that was named something like blue or atomic kitten, something tells me i don't want to hear you sing ticket to ride.
but the majority of the music was a blast. the orchestra was fabulous, the choir that performed was fun AND Shirley Bassey performed (ok, let's be honest. we had no idea who she was but the screaming throughout the crowd led us to gather that she was a big deal... turns out she's pretty much the Liza Minnelli of the UK)
royal albert hall

the view from our premium seats
the gang
and let's not forget this man.
no matter what show you attend, you can always count on at least one belligerent drunken brit in your vicinity singing along. luckily this guy was pretty hilarious and made for some cheap entertainment when the songs were hitting a duller note.
i was waiting for him to pull out the lighter in hey jude only to set the place on fire. luckily he opted to wave the light on his iphone proudly instead. nothing but class.
great night, great friends. can't ask for too much more.
wow - this would have been awesome! i haven't been inside there yet!
ReplyDeleteI CANNOT possibly exclaim how INCREDIBLY jealous I am right now!!! And we totally have the love of the Beatles in common. As of yesterday, I now own every track they've ever recorded (including their christmas albums which were hard to track down) But I'm SO jealous! I saw some of the greatest Beatles tribute bands in Disney World and I've been literally DYING to go see Cirque du Solei's Love. Have you seen it? I love the soundtrack from it
ReplyDeleteI've seen Love twice and I'm already itching to see it again! And have to say I'm SO jealous about your song collection - mine was wiped when my computer crashed right when we moved to london. now that they are on itunes i keep resisting buying the box sets!
ReplyDeletestace - there is a christmas sing-a-long there that i want to go to, if you are keen! it's such an amazing venue!