23 June 2011

the lovings of london

With my hectic schedule and forgetful personality, I didn't get as much of a chance to write about my time in London, as I would have liked. So for memories sake I've compiled a list of what I loved most about the place I called home for 2.5 years.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. The variety of languages and cultures always all around you



2. Picnics in the park - the favourite London past time


3. The iconic london cab - my ride home many nights. Though they could use some upgraded shocks

4. High tea at the Orangerie

5. Borough Market - especially the free samples. if i could have gone there every weekend i would have




6. The royals. Even if they are mainly just for show, what a show they put on!

7. Fabulous Indian food. Especially when it meant a night out with Darren and Stacey

8. Being a short flight away from eating authentic gelato, crepes, belgian waffles, bratworsts, pirogis... You name it, the country isn't all that far away

9. The open air theatre in Regent's Park - nothing like watching a fabulous production underneath the stars


10. Getting to say 'keen' and 'lift' without getting a funny look. Other favourites include, 'brilliant', 'shattered' (tired), 'gutted' (sad/disappointed) and 'snog' (make out)



11. Outdoor movies at Somerset House

12. Affordable and fabulous West End plays - if you are ever in London, make sure to see Les Mis. It's the best production of the play I've ever seen.

13. The Eurostar - probably the most fabulous way to travel. Zero stress and it drops you off right in the middle of the city.

14. Get togethers at Simon and Julie's - our second home (complete with Sunday waffles!)

15. Beautiful architecture everywhere you look. When walking around London, always look up.

16. Driving home from work at and seeing the London Eye all lit up. I'm a sucker for pretty lights, and it made me smile every night I passed it by

17. The tapas bar two minutes from our house

18. Sushi at least once a week (thanks Citi!)

19. This reminder on every street corner:


20. Bonfire night (Remember, Remember the 5th of November!)


21. The Barclays bike. 1 pound transportation in the city that was also FUN. (and maybe a little dangerous)


22. Having a running path that included the sites of Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the Thames, and the London Eye

23. the Royal Ascot and the chance to wear a fancy hat



where i learned very quickly that i am NOT good at betting on the right horse

the losing horse:



24. The stables within Camden Market


25. Sticky toffee pudding

26. Paddle boats in Hyde Park


27. Late night dancing at Mahiki (especially with my Citi friends)

28. The V&A cafe - a hidden gem tucked away within the museum


not complete unless you've had their scones and clotted cream!

29. The nosebleed seats at Royal Albert Hall

30. Antique shopping (and Hummingbird eating) at Portobello Market

31. The Mews. Any Mews. So enchanting, you can't help but imagine yourself living there.

32. Weekends away in the country

33. The Christmas displays at Harrod's and Fortnum & Mason (or really ANY seasonal display at the two)


34. The free museums - our Sunday tradition

35. The strawberry tarts from Sketch. Or really just Sketch in general. It's a trip - especially the bathrooms!




36. Football matches - especially when they are box seats gifted by Citi (the few perks)

37. Thanksgiving feasts with friends (turkey with stray feathers included)

38. Snow in London. So much prettier than snow in New York.

39. Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park



40. Caramel digestives

41. The London walking tours - we were slightly obsessed

42. Four weeks holiday. That you actually get to use. People wonder how we were able to travel the world so much? It's because we got four.weeks.holiday!

43. The tube. I used to complain about it, until I experienced the NY subway. Now I dream of returning to clean, on time subways that have a website letting you know when the next one is coming and what lines are closed. If only NY could take a page from their playbook.

44. Clean streets. Again, something I've begun to appreciate more now that I'm living in NY.

45. British strawberries

46. The Hyde Park ward. I've never been more uplifted by talks and lessons than the Sundays I spent at Hyde Park. And it didn't hurt that the people in the ward were oh-so-fabulous

47. Birley's breakfasts and salads. I ate there for breakfast and lunch nearly every work day

48. Sunbathing in the chairs in Hyde Park

49. Liberty - my all time favourite store


How cool are THESE? and then look past the lights and see what the inside looks like - it's seriously amazing


50. The late London summers. 9:30pm and still sunny and warm? The best


51. Just getting the chance to call London home


I could definitely make a list of things I do NOT miss about London, but that wouldn't be nearly as romantic would it? I'll let myself put on my rose coloured glasses and enjoy the wonderful memories Neil and I shared as newlyweds in London.


Let's hope one day we get to go back and try all 50 once more!

3 comments:

  1. Love these! How about that old theatre we went to on portebllo? That was neat. Oldest theatre I think it was. The housing search is going well. I'm in San Diego for the weekend. I'll call when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list! There were so many things on it that I never even heard about when talking to you, so it was great to read.. I especially loved the Derby hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Come visit ASAP!

    ReplyDelete