11 October 2009

dreaming of autumn

Today I am homesick for autumn and all that it means back home.

Really makes little sense, since I have spent the majority of my life in
countries that didn't have a fall, but those 4 years at Westminster
spoiled any other autumn for me.

I keep dreaming of all things pumpkin and winter spice. The US really
know what they are doing in terms of cashing in on the season. They fill
October with corn mazes, haunted houses, and pumpkin carving, then
before you know if you are in November and playing in the early snow and
getting ready to stretch your jeans for Thanksgiving. And then, voila!
The Christmas season has arrived!

Here in London, the only sign of the season are the prematurely placed
Christmas fruit cakes. Which is just a nice little reminder that the
next thing to look forward to is Christmas which is
TWO.PLUS.MONTHS.AWAY.

These Brits could really a learn a thing or two from the US and their
sneaky ways to capitalise on every miserable cold month left of the
year. No wonder the UK economy is still struggling! Do they not know
what a cash cow haunted houses are?!

I love this city, and always will. But it's just those little reminders of home that keeps my heart in Salt Lake, no matter how long it's been or how long it will be till we are back. Till then, I'll just have to make do with my imported Stephen's Hot Cocoa, crunching a leaf or two, and counting down the days till our Utah Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOSH! What is the holiday season with Halloween or Thanksgiving?! I mean what kind of 'season' is it with only one holiday?!?!?! I mean Hannukah would count - but really ... come on ... no dressing up and hunting for candy?! No huge celebration of their once-upon-a-time-colony's preservation in the wilderness?! Jes, that makes me so very sad for you. Quite heart broken indeed. Hurry, come back to America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, obviously I meant withOUT Halloween or Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. Oh I feel your pain. Last year I was asking everyone which haunted house was the best ... but nobody knew what I was talking about. I want to dress up, but I have nowhere to go. We'll make the season merry, you can count on it.

    ReplyDelete