18 September 2012

Oh boy.

Two months to the day of finding out I was pregnant, we found out the gender of our baby. August 25th is now a day to remember.

We had just finished a great morning at the Salt Lake Farmer's Market, and my mom suggested that we call around to the different companies in Utah that offer gender determination ultrasounds. I had been toying with the idea after the 5th person in Utah suggested it to me, but thought it was too early to tell - 14.5 weeks! After calling the places and finding out that we could possibly know by then, and if not, could come back for free - I was sold. So we rushed to one store only to find out on the phone all the appointments were booked. 

The only one that DID have availability was one company that was in...the...mall. Oh that's right. I went and found out my baby's gender at a MALL. I did check to make sure that the ultrasound technician was certified as I'd heard some places they just hire and train you. Luckily we were good to go. I laughed all the way there - only in Utah can you go to the mall to find out your baby's gender.

My mom, sister, and Neil came with me. That made it particularly special as I would have had to go alone in New York. And Neil hasn't been able to come to an ultrasound since the very first week, when the baby still looked like a bean and there was only a flicker of a heartbeat.

As we entered the room there was a place for me to lay with my own screen, and the rest of them sat down in chairs facing a larger screen that the ultrasound technician was using. We saw the baby kicking around and stretching and it immediately put me at ease. 

And then we heard the heartbeat. That sound never stops being magical. There is a little baby inside of me, and the heart is always there, just pumping away! 

Then it was time to find out! Little baby was shy, with one hand by the mouth - sucking his thumb - and the other down by the legs hiding what we were trying to look for! After much twisting and turning, the technician pointed out the umbilical cord. None of us said it, but later we all found out we were thinking the same thing "yes, but what is that BELOW the umbilical cord??" - we all were pretty sure of what we were seeing! She obviously wanted a clearer picture so she kept having me turn and twist until we had a better shot. She then asked, "can you tell what that is?" I was too overwhelmed to answer and she confirmed "You are having a boy!"

At that moment I thought I would cry. A baby boy! I'm having a baby boy! I didn't think I had any preference over to what gender I wanted. We had only boy names mostly agreed upon, but really that was it. But as soon as I saw this little boy, I just was SO elated. My kids will have a big brother to look up to. And I'll have my little boy. 

Neil was over the moon. I think up until this point it was hard for him to contextualize this pregnancy. I'm the one that the changes are happening to, I'm the one carrying him inside me at all times. Neil really had nothing more than the "idea" of it. But seeing our baby on the screen and finding out it was a little boy to go boating, to play sports, to rough house with, it made it all so real and exciting. My dear mom started to cry - her first grandbaby! It was so special to have them there with us.

It was such a special day and I spent the rest of the day in a happy haze. It's all I could think about. Every hour or so I'd let out a squeal "I'm having a boy!!!!!". We went out to Macy's looking for something to commemorate this day. I found a cute little giraffe soft toy, and my mom found this little newborn winter outfit. Striped and blue with little ears on the hood. I told myself I wouldn't buy newborn clothes because I know he'll grow out of it, but it's just so adorable (and wintery - which would only work the first month anyway) that we had to have it!

I am just so, so, so thrilled. 

Little guy, we can't wait to meet you.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet post! I'm so excited for you and Neil! Having an older brother was the best. I always wanted that with my own, so I'm a little jealous, but very excited for y'all!

    ReplyDelete